Monday, July 6, 2015

Like a Fire(work) is Burning!‏

Kjære Familie,
Just kidding, no fireworks for us on the Fourth of July, but we aren't allowed to handle them anyway so it wasn't too sad.  I did however get the package on the third of July, so it was PERFECT!  We both loved it!  And it was nice to have some good ole 'Murica candy! :) and I LOVE the jewelry! The Young Women here have been wearing anchor things to "Embark" so now I can fit right in!
But Drammen has been burning up like a fire.... literally... it is SO HOT!!!  I guess the only good part of it is that we got permission to not wear nylons for the month of July. But really, it has been just BURNING! And since it's humid here, I just feel gross and sticky all of the time!  I'll take winter back anytime!  On the up side, Norwegians are really happy when the sun is out, so it's easier to talk to them.  Norwegians love their vacation time.  Half the ward is gone at a time just traveling the rest of Europe. It's crazy! Quite a few of our investigators are away as well, but they'll be back soon.
I do get to spend my birthday with the Solbergs!!! They are coming to Drammen after we're done emailing and I am SOO excited.  I also just got an email from Åse Marie asking if she can come down friday and go on splits! I miss her so much! I love these people!!!
We got to do some service this week which is always my favorite because we get to wear pants! We helps a member finish scraping the paint off of her house to get it ready for painting.  Sister Smith and I did it a couple of weeks ago, but this time it was the whole district (6 missionaries) that came to help.  It was a lot of fun, but a little scary because the scaffolding we were standing on was about a foot and a half from the house, and we were working on the third level.  But despite my past record, I did not fall and I'm still alive. Miracles happen! haha! :)
This week has been a little weird as well.  On the way home from the service project I was on the bus, (Sister Larsen on the other end of the bus), and this kid walked up to me and started a conversation.  Norwegians NEVER start conversations with random strangers, so it caught me off guard.... then I realized he was flirting.... then he asked for my number... way awkward.  I told him I was a missionary and that he could only have my number if he was interested in talking about God and Jesus Christ. He said, "We can talk about whatever you want." *Insert puke noise here* I gave him a pass-along card and luckily it was time to get off anyway.  Uff da!  We got off the bus and Sister Larsen goes, "What's wrong?" And I said, "uhm... I think I just got flirted with..." Then we just laughed about it. Sometimes being a missionary is just awkward.  The next day we had a lesson with one of our investigators and we were talking to him about baptism and he just got this serious face and said, "I want to marry you." I was like "uh.......... wait what?" Then I just looked at Sister Larsen and she was speechless too.  Then he said, "wait, but if I join your church couldn't I marry both of you?" We quickly explained that that is not okay... at all... then went on with the lesson.... we'll probably let the Elders teach him from now on... BUMMER!
We visited the family again that we met last week, and they seem interested, but more in comparing their religion to ours.  They are Bahai, which means that they accept every religion.  They believe that God gives us a new set of rules every 100 years or so because the world is constantly changing.  We explained that that is why we need a prophet so we can be guided today.  They are such a sweet family, and I really hope we can start making progress with them soon.
I haven't met President Hill and Sister Hill yet.  I mean, I knew them from the MTC, so I have met them, but not since being in Norway.  We have interviews this Saturday, so hopefully I pass ;) They did call me this morning to wish me a Happy Birthday and to sing to me.  They are just so sweet!
Sister Larsen and I are getting along great!  We sing songs from musicals together and debate favorites.  We are so alike as far as personality, which is hard because when it comes to missionary work, we have the same weaknesses.  But I like to think of them as opportunities. :) 
I love the picture of the whole family together! I miss you all so much. I love you! I know the church is true!
Love, Søster Heywood


p.s. Package time!!!


p.p.s. Our Elders were in the NEWS! Front page!

No comments:

Post a Comment