Monday, November 30, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving!!!‏

November 23, 2015

Kjære Familie,
Holy Smokes has it really been a week since I last emailed.  Asker time has just flown by, and I keep praying for time to move slower, but we'll see how that works out... :) Man, what even happened this week... let's see...
We hit the streets like crazy this week and found two new people to teach.  We had set return appointments with them, then by the end of the week right before their appointments, they each sent a text saying that they weren't interested anymore. DOUBLE WHAMMY! Uff... That was rough.  But hey, at least they both have a Book of Mormon and know where to find us now. #plantthemseeds
There is an awesome member here who is really into the Doctrine and Covenants so we're meeting with her once a week so she can help us understand.  (Since personal study is mostly book of Mormon and PMG, there hasn't really been enough space or time to study D&C).  Luckily I have the rest of my life to study the scriptures :) 
We got sick this week... both of us... No worries, we were still hitting those streets hard, but oi! It was SO cold!  It has been around -5 C to -7 C. This is literally the coldest I've ever been in my entire life.  I feel like I have ice crystals growing on my face.  Okay, that was a little dramatic, but really though.  Super cold.  Last year when I was in Ålesund, it was mostly rain and wind, but never quite got this cold.  And it's not even december yet. Oh Norway... how I love ya! :) 
Our investigators are doing great.  Just gotta get them to church. We invited Adrian and his family, and he came!  He brought Belle, his little three year old daughter.  She is ADORABLE! She speaks Norwegian, Chinese, and a little English, but to her, it's all one language, so none of us can really understand her.  It's so funny.  After church yesterday, the ward had a Thanksgiving dinner.  They don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but they mostly did it for the missionaries so we could feel at home.  I love this ward.  They had Elder Parkinsen, one of the Aps, stand up and explain a little bit about Thanksgiving and why and how we celebrate it.  He said, "I promise, it's not just another excuse Americans have to eat food." haha! These members though! They make turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc... they went all out! That was probably the most American food made by Norwegians I've ever eaten. :) Though they missed the stuffing.... ;) I'll forgive them. haha!
We also had Zone conference this week!  Sister Hill wanted us all to wear the most "norwegian" things we had.  so naturally, I had to wear the beautiful skirt that Eline made. #she'sthebomb!  Sister Firth had also bought a Marius sweater when she was in Ålesund, so we were twinners! aww! presh! I know I know... we're too adorable ;)  We went to Eline's house for dinner afterwards and she just happened to be wearing hers too.  Let me tell ya, we were all just stylin'!
Zone conference was great though.  I love President and Sister Hill.  So much.  They are the greatest!  The conference was about being a successful missionary and how we define success.  I'll be honest, in Norway, missionary work is hard, and it's hard to feel like we're making any progress at all.  So it's hard to feel successful.  But if our commitment and obedience level is at it's highest, we are successful.  When those two things are in check, the rest kinda falls into place.  Let's just say, I had a lot a really tough questions answered this zone conference.  :)
Other little tidbits from this week:
-Eline made this really yummy homemade garlic bread mmmmm.... she so flink :)
-We had a district lunch on tuesday and we ate way too many Norwegian waffles.
-We won the gospel conversation competition I mentioned last week.  The prize was a statue of a dog... :) Zone leaders are weird... haha! But hey! We kinda have an apartment pet now. Now taking suggestions for names :)
- Snow is here!!
- I forget sometimes that we don't travel everywhere by train in Utah... that's lame :)
I love you family!! I know the church is true.  Jesus Christ wasn't just a good person that lived a long time ago.  He is the Son of God and our Savior.  He loves us whether we love Him back or not.  He died for us whether we believe it or not.  He is our Redeemer and my best friend.  He makes change and peace possible.  The Book of Mormon testifies of Him.  The Book of Mormon is true.  I know that.  God loves us and He has a plan.  
Have a great week!! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
Love, Søster Heywood

pics:

 1- Sunrise right out our window... at about 10:30

2- Marius twinners!

3- Our first place trophy!

These next four photos are of our apartment in Asker






No comments:

Post a Comment