Monday, November 30, 2015

"Takknemlighets dag?... Jeg vet ikke."‏


Kjære Familie!
Ok, first to explain the title... We were eating Thanksgiving at President's house on Thursday and he said that in his prayer.  Norwegian doesn't have a word for Thanksgiving since they don't even celebrate it, so President basically said, "Thankfulness's day?... I dunno." It was pretty great.  President is pretty good at Norwegian  though.  I'm always impressed.
Let's see... On Monday all of the missionaries in Oslo, Sandvika, and Drammen got together to have a turkey bowl football game, and though I may be getting better at soccer, my football skills..... just don't exist at all.  But it was fun running around on the ice and trying not to die...
That's another thing, we've had a little bit of snow, but mostly it's just rain and ICE!  Tuesday was really bad.  Sister Firth was backing down our driveway, and the car just turned to the side and slid down sideways the whole way! SO SCARY! And that's with winter tires.  And since I know you're all wondering, I'll have you know I only fell down three times that day.  Not too bad eh? I think I'm emotionally attached to the gravel they put on the ground so you don't slip. :)
We did a lot of solo contacting this week so we can talk to more people.  We really need new investigators.  We're working hard and the Lord has been setting people in our path.  For example,  last Monday, we were contacting in Sandvika and I saw this guy (Arthur) with his hoodie up and earphones in, looking at the ground.  Probably the most unapproachable human being ever.  But I was like, welp! Why not? So I walked up and started talking with him.  We had a really awesome little chat about who God is and at the end he was like, "I think God knew I needed help tonight, thanks"  WHAT? Who says that?  We agreed to meet up again on Saturday to teach him the first lesson.  And we did.  We found him in the same spot, with his hoodie up, waiting for us.  We gave him a Book of Mormon and he immediately asked us where our favorite scriptures were.  At the end of the lesson we asked him if he had any questions and he said, "Just one." Then he turned to me and asked, "Why did you talk to me the other night? No one talks to me. Why did you?" I felt my eyes start to water up. (Yup, that still happens) I told him that it was because God was reaching out to him and helped me open my mouth.  I told him how much God loved him.  It was one of those moments that I felt the spirit telling me that what I was saying was true.  I know God loves Arthur.

But since missions are a rollercoaster, there had to be some hard things too right?  We had to drop another one of our investigators after he plainly told us that he didn't really care to know if the church was true.  We bore our testimonies and did our best, but he just didn't care.  That was a bummer.  
We got a phone call on Friday asking if the missionaries could sing in Sacrament meeting on Sunday.  How's that for short notice? I'm pretty sure it turned out okay though.  We sang "It Came upon a Midnight Clear" in Norwegian.  I LOVE when we can officially start singing Christmas songs in Sacrament meeting! Iz da BESST!!
Couple more fun things:
-We helped the Brostrums clean out an old elders apartment. No one has lived there for about a year.... SO GROSS. So so gross.
- Grakum sent me a story of how she moved from Illinois when she was 15.  We shared it with Eline's family on Saturday.
- Eline is pretty much a professional chef.  Like... she should open up her own restaurant... :) mmm.  Also, she gave us a string of presents one to open every day until Christmas.  I love her.
-Check out this website: https://www.mormon.org/christmas?cid=HP_SU_11-29-2015_dMIS_fSPC_xLIDyL1-A_
-Ricardo is going to the temple the first week in March! AH! Just for baptisms, but still! AH! He's the best.
-Visited a 90 year old lady that probably passes out more Mormons Boks than we do.  She always has a BIG smile on her face and people are always asking why she is happy.  She tells them, "Because I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and I have a Book for you." WHAT?  She's da bomb!
I studied D&C 103 this week during personal study.  There is a verse there that talks about giving your life for the work of God.  Until this week, I always assumed that meant dying.  This week it hit me that it means to live each day for the work of God.  His work and His glory is to bring to pass the immortality and the eternal life of man.  He wants our help.  Not because He needs it.  I mean, He's God.  He doesn't need us to do this work.  WE need us to do this work.  Being a part of helping people receive eternal life helps us.  god allows us to share in the joy of His work.  Isn't He the best?
I love you family!! Have an awesome week!!!
-Søster Heywood

p.s. takk for the Christmas Package!!! I'll be spending the next month staring at presents, and loving every minute! 
p.p.s Our investigator Magni and I next to a weird deer\rabbit statue :) 

p.p.p.s Borghild and I :)  (She's the one that passes out all the Mormons Boks)

No comments:

Post a Comment