Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Becometh as a Child... a Child of God!

This last week has been insane, and packed full of pretty rough trials and beautiful blessings. First off, last Friday was Sarah's, my adorable little sister's, eighth birthday.  The next day was her baptism.  She is the last of the six kids in our family to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and we are SO proud of her.  At her baptism, our older brother Kyle gave a talk about the power of the Holy Ghost, and how He can be our best friend and mentor in this life.  I know that to be true.  The Holy Ghost will always be there to offer comfort when we need it.  But I also know that He will not fight for our attention.  If we are in a place or situation where He is not comfortable, He will leave until we invite Him back.  I was so happy and proud to see Sarah receive that beautiful gift of having the power of the Holy Ghost be with her everywhere that she goes.






The next day, Sunday, was my nephew Adam's baby blessing, and I gained a testimony that day that Heavenly Father truly cares about and loves His children to no end.  I know that my Heavenly Father loves that little boy.  Between Adam and Sarah this weekend, I understood better the commandment to become like children in Mosiah 3:19:


"For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been since the fall of Adam,
and he will be forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy
Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh as a saint though the 
atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek,
humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the
Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

I have a newfound love for this scripture, and because of this, I have made myself a few goals for this next week:

1. Put off the natural man.  In a trying situation, have the courage to say "Get out of here Satan! No one likes you anyway!!" :)
2. Be submissive.  In other words, OBEY, even if I don't quite know the reasons why.
3. Be meek. Always treat others as if they are having a bad day.  An remember that everyone is going through their own trials.
4.  Be humble.  Be willing to admit that I am wrong and willing to accept someone else's ideas above my own.
5.  Be patient.  I have five siblings... three of younger than me... This will totally work! :)
6.  Full of Love.  See everyone around me as a son or daughter of a loving Heavenly Father and sincerely try to love them in that same way.  (The worth of souls is great in the sight of God.)
7.  Willing to submit to my Father in Heaven.  He has a plan.  A plan that is a LOT better than whatever I could come up with.  I'm going to completely put my life into His hands.

If you are reading this, whoever you are, I want to challenge you to meet these goals along with me, or create your own!  I promise that as you put forth the effort to draw closer to Heavenly Father, He will draw closer to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment