Monday, April 20, 2015

"So... What's the difference between you guys and nuns?"‏

Hey Family!

So... let's see here! This week we had so many miracles and it just reminds me how lucky I am to be here and to be a part of this!  It's INCREDIBLE! I feel like I had someone tapping me on the shoulder every so often saying, "Hey, look at that! That was a miracle!" "Look at where you are right now! You're so lucky!"  I have no idea what I did to deserve an experience like this.  We were eating dinner with one of the families in the ward and in the middle of the conversation I got like a WAVE of emotion.  I can't imagine my life without the people I have met here.  They've completely changed me and showed me what being a member of this church really means.  Man! These members here are so dedicated! The youth are so strong! I mean, they have to be.  It's a little different from living in Morgan where all of my friends pretty much had my same values.  These kids are called on to defend their faith all the time!  And they do! They are SO amazing!

On Monday, we visited Silvia for the last time before she left on her trip. She'll be gone for about two weeks and when she comes back, it won't be too long before her son comes!  He's going to add so much to the ward! We had one of our members, Sister Mead, with us to teach her and they found out they both have 8 year old sons that love to play soccer! It was so fun to see them connect so well! I love it when the members and investigators become friends.  It is VITAL! Later that night, we met with two guys that we met on the bus. and uh... I think they thought it was a double date... Even though we told them before that we would be sharing more about the church.... So that was weird... So during the lesson, when I was explaining the Book of Mormon, one of them interrupted me and said, "So what's the difference between you guys and nuns?"... It was hilarious!... later that night... in the moment, not so hilarious.  Long story short, we're not exactly meeting with them anymore unless they contact us, but hey! It was a fun story right? Søster Horner and I went back to the apartment and when we got in she goes, "What is the difference between us and nuns?" and then we just laughed for the next hour about it!

We met with Alma this week too, and she is AWESOME! She is from Sweden and only speaks Swedish, but the amazing this is, we can understand her WAY better than half of the people we meet on the streets! That's Stavanger for ya! But yes! Alma is the SWEETEST! She smiled no matter what we were explaining to her.  She told us that she really likes Biology, which is AWESOME, because we had planned to read from Alma 32 with her. (Ya'know, about planting a seed of faith in your heart) Umm... has there even been a person more prepared to hear that chapter? I think not! :) haha! She is about our same age and I can see the three of us being friends for a LONG time :)

Sophia, the girl from Germany, began the lesson this week by sharing with us her experience of getting her answer that the Book of Mormon is not true... which was hard.  She has had a lot of really good experiences with prayer and she felt like God answered that the Book of Mormon wasn't true... but we know that can't be right.  We asked if she had read it, and she said no, so we explained more about it, read Moroni 10:4-5 with her, then asked her again if she would READ the Book of Mormon, then ponder on it, then pray to ask God if it is true.  We showed her Alma 7 which is all about Christ and his life, and she told us that she would read it.  So fingers crossed!

On Saturday, we felt prompted to go out to the town of Tananger, visit a member family, and knock on some doors.  So we called the family, got it all arranged, and headed out. The bus there only leaves every hour, and the one coming back only comes every hour. On the way to the bus stop, we felt like we needed to talk to this girl. So we talked to her.... not interested... but because of that.. we missed the bus.  So we were feeling really bad and really down on ourselves because we wouldn't be able to get out there soon enough to really get anywhere with the tracking.  So we sat there for a minute, felt like failures, asked a lady if that was the bus we were supposed to take, she said yea, then we just felt worse.  We thought about contacting with that hour of extra time, but it just didn't feel right.  so after about a half hour, the other bus came. the one that we thought was coming back from Tananger.  But we thought, let's ask the bus driver if he's going out there just in case.  So we asked, and he said yes! So, long story short, if we hadn't have talked to that girl that said no, we would have been on the wrong bus headed in the opposite direction from where we needed to go!  And to make the story even better, while we were on the bus, a man sat next to me, saw my nametag and started bearing his testimony of Jesus Christ! So I pulled out a Book of Mormon, and showed him how it witnesses of Jesus Christ.  He asked if he could borrow it (that is THE BEST part of missionary work) So I told him that he could have it and that I'd like to explain more about it another day.  So we're REALLY glad we got on that bus!

After that, we went to the Meads, the member family, ate some yummy dinner, and shared a spiritual thought.  Sister Mead started to tell us about her neighbor who might be ready to hear the message of the gospel.  So we went next door, met Anita, and now we have an appointment for next week to teach her in the Mead's home ^_^ It was a complete miracle!!  When we told Sister Mead that she was open to meeting, she started to tear up! Then of course, ya'll know me, I started tearing up too! This is why I love missionary work. 

This was crazy long family! Sorry bout that! I loved hearing all about life in Morgan and what's going on there! Tell Jared Congrats for me! ACT is hard and getting a 36 is AMAZING!! I still want to hear all about Heather's choir tour! I cannot BELIEVE that it has been two years since we went together! WOAH! time flies eh??? I love you all SOOO much!!!

Love, Søster Heywood

p.s. so... I chopped my hair again... 



No comments:

Post a Comment