Monday, January 25, 2016

The Church of JESUS CHRIST!‏

Hey Family!!
Quote of the week: "Stupid people are not the ones that don't know anything, but the ones who CHOOSE not to know anything." -Søster Peterson.
Story behind the quote: We were out on a walk, and stopped to talk to a guy with a HUGE beard.  I mean, this guy easily puts Santa Claus to shame.  Anywho, this guy was SO SMART as far as religion goes.  We had a cool talk with him about the Bible, then he asked us what was so different about Mormons.  So we told him about prophets, and that we have a living prophet today.  His eyes got big and he said, "Seriously, you guys really believe that God's prophet leads the Mormon church?"  We said, "Well, he leads the Church of Jesus Christ."  Then he said,  "Wait,  you guys believe that Jesus Christ's church, prior to His second coming is your church?  And that this is His church in the last days?? That's a little bold to say, don't you think??" I looked at him, and said, "You're right.  That is incredibly bold to say.  But it's true.  It's 100% true.  This is the church of Jesus Christ, and it is led by a prophet who is called of God.  And the two of us have given up a lot to come to Norway and tell you this.  What if it's true?"  I almost put my hand over my mouth.  Borderline too bold don'tcha think? He looked at us and thought for a while, shook his head, said he had to go, then walked away. Just walked away.  It was one of those moments that I wanted to run after him and grab his shoulders and say, "THIS IS TRUE!! And you need it!"  But the Spirit told me that I probably shouldn't do that.... ;) During that conversation, I had the Holy Ghost testify to me again how true the church really is.  And not just the church.  God's plan for us is perfect.  Through it and ONLY through it can we live with our families forever.  Through His plan we can become better.  We can overcome impossible things.  Through the Gospel of Jesus Christ we can feel the peace that this world doesn't want us to feel.  It's delicious.  It is oh so good!  I want everyone to feel it. 
On Wednesday we had a missionary broadcast where David A Bednar, Bonnie Oscarsen, Neil L Andersen etc etc etc, spoke about how we can refocus on our purpose as missionaries.  One thing that was said it that we should ALWAYS have the name of Jesus Christ on our lips.  We should be testifying of His ALWAYS.  It was SO good!!! And to be honest, it was pretty humbling.  There is so much I need to be doing that I'm not doing.  There is SO much I could be doing better.  Like SO MUCH!! And I've only got 6 weeks to fix it! haha! Uff da. 
With all these thoughts stressing me out, plus investigators not answering their phones, plus other stress, the week started out a little rough.  I had a feeling even on Monday that I should ask for a priesthood blessing.  I pushed it away thinking, "Nah, it's just a little stress.  I'm fine."  Then I kept getting the same feeling everytime I said my personal prayers.  I kept thinking, "It's fine,  I've had worse stress than this over the last year and a half.  I can do this."  The feeling never went away, so I told Søster Peterson about it on Wednesday after the broadcast.  She goes, "Hello, Søster Heywood! The Lord obviously wants to tell you something!" I love my companion, did I mention that? I laughed and agreed to ask for a blessing the next day.  We had district meeting on Thursday and afterwards, the elders were in weekly planning, and I didn't want to bug them.... So Søster Peterson knocked on the door for me because I was being a chicken.  I asked them for a blessing, and they said "Of course!"  I won't go into the details of the blessing here, but it opened with, "Your Heavenly Father wanted to let you know...."  And from then on, the water works didn't stop.  Sånn er det.  I am so thankful for the priesthood.  I had no idea why I needed a blessing until after, but boy did I need it.  I am thankful for worthy priesthood holders.  I am thankful that even over here in Norway, a priesthood blessing isn't too far away.  I know that it wasn't just an elder with his hands on my head saying nice things.  Those words said were from God.  I know that.
On Friday, we decided to call through the area book and see if anyone was interested in meeting again.  We called a man named Truls and met with him on Saturday.  He loves the Book of Mormon and LOVES meeting with missionaries, just never has time to meet.  A few nights before we called him, he was looking for his Book of Mormon (Which he usually kept on his bedside table).  He couldn't find it anywhere and was pretty sure that his girlfriend had thrown it away.  (Girlfriends are dumb.  Don't get girlfriends ;)  But we called him and he took it as a sign that God wants him to have that Book! So we gave him another one and taught him about the Plan of Salvation.  He loved it!  He wants to meet again, but is worried about his work schedule getting in the way.  (You guys can send a prayer his way if ya want :)  God has literally been saving his life over and over and over again and he just "keeps running into Mormons".  Haha! Søster Peterson was like, "Uh, that's not a coincidence" :) 

Last cool story.  We have an eternal investigator that comes to church every Sunday.  In fact, He drives one of the older ladies that can't drive herself.  (She has basically adopted him.) He's awesome.  I've never taught him because he has literally had all the lessons over and over, and just won't decide to be baptized.  This guy has read the Book of Mormon TWICE! And knows it's true.  He even says he'll be baptized "someday".  But the ward loves him.  We got invited to a family's house after church for dinner, and they invited him to.  We got there before he did and the family sat us down and said, "okay Sisters, What are we teaching him?"  Literally, this appointment was every missionary's dream.  We started the lesson, and everyone sitting around the table bore awesome testimony, and taught from their own experiences.  It was awesome.  He will be baptized for sure.  I just don't know when.  But I'll keep ya'll updated :)

Food for thought for the week.  Ya'know how in 3 Nephi 11, Heavenly Father introduces Jesus Christ and says, "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name.  Hear ye Him."?   He was so proud of His Son.  As He is proud of each of us when we follow His will.  How would Heavenly Father introduce you to a group of people?  What would He say?   
Other fun things
-The air was so cold on Monday that there were litterally ice crystals floating in the air. That's what you get when you live by the ocean way up north. It was so cool!!
-Søster Peterson and I had two service projects this week.  One of which was peeling wallpaper for a less active member, and the other was stacking a garage full of wood (for the same less active member) It was a BLAST! I love serving.
-Mom, you'll be glad to know that the childhood "Sheri Lewis 101 fun things to do" came in handy as I taught a nine year old how to make cat ears :)
I love you Family!!!! Have an AWESOME week!  Have Christ's name on your lips ALWAYS!
-Søster Heywood




No comments:

Post a Comment